Caring for Metal Dice
Do you find yourself asking, “How do I take care of my metal dice?” Well, then, you are not alone. With your new shiny set of metal dice, it is essential to know how to take care of them.
In this article, we are going to cover three areas of metal dice care: storing your dice, rolling your dice, and cleaning your metal dice.
Storing and Care for Your Metal Dice
First up is the storage of your new metal dice. Now unlike acrylic or resin dice, the storage of metal dice can be quite different for the simple fact that they are metal. And, as you may know, metals can be affected by the environment. Thus, following these do’s and don’ts will help prolong the life of your metal dice.
Metal Dice Storage Do’s
- Remove finger grease with a soft lint-free cloth after use.
- Store the dice in dry, soft dice bag or padded container.
- Periodically clean your dice with soap and water (see below for more details).
Metal Dice Storage Don’ts
- Store the metal dice with other dice - the metal dice will damage acrylic and resin dice.
- Have the metal dice roll around unpadded - they will damage each other.
- Leave them wet! Dry your metal dice as soon as possible.
The one thing to remember about your metal dice is that they are heavier and stronger than polymer dice. Thus, your metal dice will cause damage to other die and themselves if not correctly contained.
Rolling Your Metal Dice
When it comes to throwing your metal dice, there are a few things you need to remember. Given the weight of most metal dice, it is not a good idea to roll them on any surface that can break, such as a glass table.
It would be best if you always roll your metal dice on a padded surface, such as a playmat or folding dice tray. The reason for this is that even though you’re not going to shatter a wooden table, you will ding and scratch the table with your metal dice. The noise that heavy metal dice make on a solid playing surface can also be near ear-shattering. You can still hear the roll when you use a mat or padded tray, but it is a much more pleasant experience.
How To Clean Your Metal Dice
At the start of any play session, it is crucial to have prepared your equipment, and that includes making sure your dice are clean. We recommend giving your metal dice a wipe down with a soft, lint-free cloth to get rid of any finger grease, dust, or anything else that may have collected on them while not in use.
Then, every so often give those metal math rocks a good old bath. I mean, don’t actually bath with them, but instead, follow these cleaning steps:
- Place a small amount of soap in a wet non-abrasive cloth.
- Work the soap into a lather.
- Apply the soap lather to the dice surface.
- Rinse the metal die with lukewarm water.
- Dry the metal die with a microfiber cloth.
Always be very thorough in the drying process, as any moisture may cause your die to tarnish or even rust!
Metal Dice Care Wrap Up
Remember, as with anything, the better care you take of your dice, the longer they will last. So, be sure to keep you metal dice in a well-padded or soft bag, roll them on a proper rolling surface, and keep them clean.